Pre-Medical Module - FAQs
1. What is the course code and name for the Pre-Medical Module?
The Pre-Medical Module is known officially as GMS1000: The Duke-NUS Premed Course.
2. Which majors is GMS1000 open to?
This module is opened to undergraduates from all majors. To date, we have enrolled undergraduates from the Faculties of Science, Engineering, Arts & Social Sciences, NUS Business School, School of Nursing and Yale-NUS into this module.
3. How do I apply to the GMS1000 module?
Applications are open once a year (during October). Announcements will be sent out to all 1st and 2nd year students at NUS to invite applications. Please refer to the Pre-Medical Module page on how to apply.
4. I am a 2nd year student. Am I eligible to apply to the GMS1000 module?
Yes. The GMS1000 module is open for applications to 1st and 2nd year students at NUS.
5. I am a 3rd year student. Can I apply to the GMS1000 module?
We encourage students to apply in the freshman and junior years as this will allow more time for engagement within the Pre-Medical Programme that follows the module.
6. Does being selected to read GMS1000 mean that I am automatically part of the Pre-Medical Programme?
No. You will be selected to read GMS1000 based on your application. During the course of reading GMS1000, you will be assessed for your attitude and aptitude. You will be informed of whether you have been successfully admitted into the Pre-Medical Programme after the semester.
7. I have already read another Freshman Seminar module, am I still eligible to read GMS1000?
Usually, students are encouraged to read only one Freshman Seminar module throughout their undergraduate candidature. However, as GMS1000 is a prerequisite for admission to the Pre-Medical Programme, you will be allowed to read it if you want to be considered for the programme.
8. I have applied to read GMS1000 in the last round but was unsuccessful, can I reapply?
Yes, you will be allowed to reapply. However, you will need to resubmit all the relevant application documents in order to be considered.
9. Where can I find the online application form?
You may refer to the Pre-Medical Module page, under the Application Section. The link to the online application form will appear there in October every year as this is the time when we invite applications to read this module.
10. In the online application form, I am expected to provide my CAP. However, I am only in my Semester 1 of Year 1, and do not have a CAP yet. Can I still apply?
You can still apply. You will need to provide your academic transcript from your Junior College / Polytechnic / high school to support your application.