Education Qualifications: MBBS, FRCS (Edinburgh), FRCS (Glasgow), M.D. (Doctorate by Research & Thesis), FAMS (ORL), Grad Dip (Healthcare Management and Leadership)
Prof Hsu is currently Chairman Medical Board, SengKang General Hospital, Deputy Chairman, Medical Board (Surgical disciplines) & Assistant Chairman, Medical Board (Clinical Development & Performance Excellence); Senior Consultant Surgeon & immediate past Chief of ENT Department; Founding Chief, Department of Sleep Medicine, Surgery & Science (Director, Integrated Sleep Service); Advisor & Past Chairman, International Liaison Unit; Advisor & Past-Chairman for Clinical Trials & Research Unit of Changi General Hospital (CGH), Singapore.
Additionally, he serves in various capacities, past and present, with the Ministry of Health, Ministry of Defense, SingHealth Cluster, SMC and SMJ. Prof Hsu is an Adjunct Associate Professor in the School of Medicine at the National University of Singapore (NUS) and Chair Professor at the Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD) and a Visiting Professor at Chang Gung Memorial Hospital.
Prof Hsu has obtained 31 Local and International Awards in various areas.
Professional Appointments and Committee Memberships:
- Clinical Professor, Duke-NUS
- Associate Dean, Office of Academic & Clinical Development, Duke-NUS
- Chair Professor, Healthcare Engineering, Singapore University of Technology and Design
- Visiting Professor, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital
- Former Chief, Otorhinolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery, Changi General Hospital
- Former Chief, Sleep Medicine, Surgery & Science, Changi General Hospital
- Lead Clinician, CGH-SUTD Collaboration
- Advisor - International Liaison Unit, Changi General Hospital
- Deputy Chairman - Medical Board (surgical disciplines)
- Assistant Chairman, Medical Board (Clinical development & Performance Excellence)
- Chairman, Duke NUS- SUTD Clinician Innovator Program
- Adjunct Associate Professor, NUS Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine.
- Chairman, Scientific Symposium, The 100th Scholarly Symposium of the Taiwan Otolaryngological Society, 2016.
- Editorial Member, Journal of Sleep Disorders and Management, 2015.
- Co-Chairman, 3rd ASEAN Sleep Congress, 2015.
- Committee Member, 5th World Chinese ENT Congress, 2015.
- Advisor, International Sleep Congress & Surgical course, Singapore General Hospital, 2013.
- Advisor, SingHealth Duke-NUS Sleep Centre
- Advisory Panel, Asia Pacific-Singapore Otology Neuro-Otology, Sept, 2011-15.
- Co-Chairman, Organizing Committee, International Sleep Surgery Congress 2010-2011, Taipei.
- Advisor Combined 4th Asia-Pacific Otology & Neuro-Otology Meeting and First Singapore Otology & Skull Base Update, Oct, 2010.
- Organizing Committee, Surgery, Sleep and Breathing III- An International Symposium, Amsterdam, Netherlands, May 2009.
- Faculty Member, Second World Chinese ENT Congress, Macau, June, 2009.
- Council Member, World Chinese ENT Society, 2006- 2011.
- International Committee & Faculty Member, 6th European Congress of Otolaryngology, Head & Neck Surgery, July 2007.
- International Federation of Otolaryngology Society-Singapore ENT Society preparation Committee (Treasurer) for IFOS meeting2013. Sept, 2007-2011
- Founding Committee Member, International Surgical Sleep Society, Invitation by Professor Tucker Woodson, University of Wisconsin, 2007-2011.
- Member, National Residency Examination Committee, 2015-17.
- Member, Specialist Training Committee, 2009-2010.
- Member, Curriculum Work Group, Healthcare Leadership College, MOHH, 2012.
- Member, Residency Advisory Committee, Otolaryngology, 2010-2017.
- Member, Project Team, MOH. Public Healthcare Staff Code of Conduct, 2013-14
- Member, Surcharges & FPP review committee, 2014-16
- Member, the Work Group on Support for National Service, Invitation by Mr. Chan Chun Sing, Minister, Social & Family
- Development and Second Minister for Defense. 28th, May, 2013.
- Member, the Work Group on Support for National Service, Invitation by Dr Ng Eng Hen, Minister for Defense. 15th, Aug, 2013.
- Member, SMC Complaints Panel, Dec 2016 –Nov 2018.
- EHA-SingHealth Cluster Integration Medical Work group- Member, 2017.
- Advisor, SingHealth Duke-NUS Disease Centre for Sleep Disorders, SDDC, 2017
- Chairman, SingHealth Cluster Leadership & Succession Management Sub-Committee, 2010-2011.
- Committee Member, Leadership group, SingHealth Board Retreat Meeting, Oct, 2010.
- Committee Member, SingHealth Cluster Scientific Meeting 2009-2010.
- Council member, SingHealth Research Council, June 2006-2008.
- Chairman, SingHealth Oral Papers Presentation Session, Combined (NHG-SHS) Scientific Meeting, 2005.
- Judge, Panel of Judges, Yahya Cohen Memorial Lectureship Selection Committee, Aug 2006. Reviewer, Annals, Academy of Medicine, 2014-2016.
- Independent Medical Expert Invitation, 2017.
- Member, Otorhinolaryngology Specialist Training Sub-Committee (Post-Graduate Training), Academy of Medicine & Graduate School of Medical Studies, 2002-2003, Singapore.
- Specialty Editor, Singapore Medical Journal, 2011-17.
- Reviewer, Singapore Medical Journal, 2011-17.
- Judge, Best Paper Award, SMJ, 2015-16.
- Fellow, American Academy of Otolaryngology- Head and Neck Surgery
- Fellow, Royal Society of Medicine, England.
- Member, British Association of Otolaryngologists- Head & Neck Surgeons
- Fellow, Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- Fellow, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow
- Fellow, Academy of Medicine, Singapore
- Member, Singapore Medical Association
- Member, Singapore ENT Society
- Member, Singapore Sleep Society
- Member, European Academy of Sleep medicine
1. Singapore Health Quality Service Award 2021- Hero Award.
2. National Day Award 2020- Public Administration Medal (Bronze), conferred by the President of Republic of Singapore.
3. Gold Award, Singapore Health Quality Service Award, 2020.
4. NCAM (NCIS Annual Research Meeting), Best Poster Award (Clinical Science), National University of Singapore. August 2019.
5. Patron of Heritage Award 2019, National Heritage Board.
6. 2019 SingHealth Excellence Award – Distinguished Visionary Leader Award.
7. Departmental Clinical Training Merit Award, National University of Singapore,2017
8. Academy of Medicine, Annals’ Gold Reviewer Award Winner, March 2017
9. First Prize, Oral Paper, Eastern Health Alliance Annual Scientific Meeting Nov 2016
10. Appreciation Award, Minister for Defence (Dr Ng Eng Hen), Ministry of Defence, June 2014.
11. Gold Service Award, Eastern Health Alliance, May 2014.
12. Best Service Award, Changi General Hospital, Third quarter 2013.
13. Best Service Award, Changi General Hospital, first quarter, 2013.
14. Star Award-Singapore Health Quality Service Award, 2011.
15. Gold Service Award, Changi General Hospital, 2010.
16. Quarterly Best Service Award, Changi General Hospital, 2009.
17. Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) Good Service Award 2009.
18. 2008 Singapore Medical Journal Reviewer Recognition Award (Reviewing with Distinction), March 2009.
19. SingHealth Cluster Group CEO Excellence Award 2008.
20. 2006 Singapore Medical Journal Reviewer Recognition Award (Reviewing with Distinction), Jan 2007.
21. Singapore Excellent Service Award (Gold), August 2006
22. Yahya Cohen Memorial Lectureship & Gold Medal 2005, 39th Singapore-Malaysia Congress of Medicine (Academy of Medicine of Singapore & Academy of Medicine of Malaysia), Celebration for 100 years of Medical Education.
23. Best Research Paper Award 2005(First Prize), Changi General Hospital 2nd Research Forum & Best Paper Competition.
24. Best Research Paper Award 2005. (Third Prize), Changi General Hospital 2nd Research Forum & Best Paper Competition
25. Best Research Paper Award 2003 (First Prize), 10th ASEAN Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery Congress, Brunei Darussalam.
26. Best Research Paper Award 2002 (First Prize), 4th Annual Scientific Meeting (Changi General Hospital).
27. Best Research Paper Award 2002(Second Prize), 4th Annual Scientific Meeting (Changi General Hospital)
28. Young Surgeon’s Award 2001, 13th Biennial Congress of Asian Surgical Association & 35th Annual Combined Surgical Meeting
29. Young Investigator Award 2001, 35th Malaysia- Singapore Congress of Medicine (Academy of Medicine of Singapore & Academy of Medicine of Malaysia)
30. Best Research Paper Award 2001(First Prize), 3rd Annual Scientific Meeting (Changi General Hospital).
31. Congress Medal Award 2000, 9th Asia-Oceania Otolaryngology, Head & Neck Surgery Congress 2000.
• Book chapter in Advances in Otolaryngology - Sleep-related Breathing Disorders. Adv Otorhinolaryngol. 2017; 80:125-135. Jul 2017. Review. Publisher-Karger, Co-Author
• Obstructive sleep apnoea and Type 2 diabetes mellitus-Are they connected? Singapore Med J. 2017 Apr; 58(4):179-183. Co- Author.
• Recognising Sleep Apnoea, Singapore Med J. 2015 Mar; 56(3): 129–132. Co-Author.
• Effects of tonsillectomy on sleep study parameters in adult patients with obstructive sleep apnoea - A prospective study. Sleep and Breathing, 2014, May; 18(2):265-8. Co-Author.
• Hyoid Expansion with Titanium Plate And Screw. A Human Cadaveric Study Using Computer-Assisted Airway Measurement. JAMA Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery, 2013 Aug 1;139 (8):817-21. Co-Author
• Sam Robinson Memorial Lecture, Video-Endoscopic Analysis of the Upper Airway in Adult OSA. Journal of Sleep and Biological Rhythms. P49, Oct, 2012. First Author.
• Effect of Tonsillectomy on sleep study parameters in patients with OSA. Journal of Sleep and Biological Rhythms. P53, Oct, 2012. Co-Author.
• Computer-assisted quantitative upper airway analysis following modified uvulopalatal flap and lateral pharyngoplasty for obstructive sleep apnoea: a prospective case-controlled study. Clin Otolaryngol. 2012 Jun; 37(3):188-96. First Author
• Is combined multichannel intraluminal impedance-PH monitoring superior to the conventional 24 hours PH meter in the evaluation of patients with laryngorespiratory symptoms suspected to be due to Gastroesopharygeal reflux? Journal of Digestive Diseases, 2011 Oct; 12(5):341-8. Co-Author.
• Complications of Temperature-Controlled Radiofrequency in the Treatment of Sleep-Disordered Breathing: A Singapore Sleep Centre Experience. Journal of Laryngology and Otology, 122(5): 490-494, May 2008. Co-Author.
• CPAP Compliance of OSA patients in Singapore. European Archives of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology and Head & Neck, Volume 264, Supplement 1, June 2007, Page 127. Co-Author.
• Quantitative analysis of Anatomical improvements following Modified Uvulopalatal Flap and Lateral pharyngoplasty. European Archives of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology and Head & Neck, Volume 264, Supplement 1, June 2007, Page 128. First Author.
• Computer-assisted quantitative upper airway analysis and calibrated cephalometry. European Archives of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology and Head & Neck, Volume 264, Supplement 1, June 2007, Page 7. First Author.
• Quality-of-life impact and efficacy of tonsillectomy for recurrent tonsillitis in adults, Acta Oto-Laryngologica. 2007; 127:62-64, First Author.
• Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty Outcome Assessment with Quantitative Computer-assisted Videoendoscopic Airway Analysis- Acta Oto-Laryngologica, 2007; 127: 65-70, First Author.
• Prevalence of Snoring in Singapore and its psychosocial implications. Sleep Medicine, Vol. 7, Supplement 2, 113, Sept 2006, Co-Author.
• Coblation & Electrocautery Tonsillectomy-Post operative Recovery in Adults, Journal of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery (USA); 699-703. Nov 2006. Co-Author.
• Yahya Cohen Memorial Lecture, Academy of Medicine, Singapore- Annals of Academy of Medicine of Singapore, Vol 34, Number 11, Page 703-713, December 2005. First Author.
• Migrating Oesophageal Foreign Bodies– Rev Laryngol Otol Rhinol, 126,(2): 105-109, Co-author, June 2005.
• Calibrated Cephalometry- Modified Technique to Assess Palatal Airway Changes after Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty for Obstructive Sleep Apnoea. Australian Journal of Otolaryngology, Volume 8, Number 1, Page 9-14, June 2005. First Author.
• Clinical Predictors in OSA with Calibrated Cephalometric Analysis- Journal of Clinical Otolaryngology & Allied Science, First Author. Issue 2, Vol. 30, P 234-241, June 2005. First author.
• CPAP Compliance in Singaporean patients with Obstructive Sleep Apnoea. Sleep Medicine. 6S2, S198. Co-author.
• Incidence of complication of radiofrequency treatment of palate and tongue base in OSA patients. Sleep Medicine 2005. 6S2, S188. Co-author.
• Upper airway assessment of patients after Uvulopalatal flap using Computer assisted measurement. Sleep Medicine 2005, 6S2, S197. First Author.
• Computer-assisted Digital-imaging Videoendoscopic Upper Airway Analysis, an innovative approach-Journal of Clinical Otolaryngology & Allied Science, Vol. 29, Issue 5, P 527-534. 2004. First Author.
• Clinical Predictors in OSA with Quantitative Computer-assisted Videoendoscopic Upper Airway Analysis- Vol. 114(5) May 2004, P 791-799. The Laryngoscope. First Author.
• An Unusual case of Foreign Body Migration- Journal of Laryngology & Otology. Vol. 118, No 3, P 242-243. Co-Author. 2004.
• Auricular Pseudocyst in Tropics: A Multiracial Singapore Experience- Journal of Laryngology and Otology. Vol. 118, No. 3, P 185-188. Co-Author. 2004.
• M.D. (Doctorate in Medicine) Thesis- The study of upper airway in patients with obstructive sleep apnoea with computer-assisted digital-imaging quantitative upper airway and cephalometric analysis in Singapore. University of Dundee, UK, Dec 2003.
• Conference Proceedings-P 31, P 41, Vol. 117, Supplement No. 29, The Journal of Laryngology & Otology, First Author. 2003
• Conference Proceedings-P 31, P 41, Vol. 117, Supplement No. 29, The Journal of Laryngology & Otology, First Author. 2003
• A New Method of Evaluation of Upper Airway in Patients with Obstructive Sleep Apnoea: Computer-Assisted Quantitative Video-endoscopic Analysis. Annals, Academy of Medicine, Singapore (Young Surgeon Award Winning Article) – Original Article, Vol.31 No.3: 393-398.2002. First Author.
• Multiple Level Pharyngeal Surgery for Obstructive Sleep Apnoea. Journal: Singapore Medical Journal - Original Article, Vol. 42(4): 160- 164.2001. First Author.
• Conference Proceedings – P 58, Vol 56, Supplement B, Aug 2001, The Medical Journal of Malaysia. First Author.
• Conference Proceedings – S108, Vol.24, Supplement 2, Nov 2001. Asian Journal of Surgery. First Author.