As Principal Investigator of the Chronobiology and Sleep Laboratory, my primary research interest is to understand the role of the circadian system and sleep in modulating human health, physiology, and cognitive performance. Disruption of circadian rhythms and sleep is associated with negative health outcomes ranging from metabolic disorders to psychiatric illnesses, and also increases risk of occupational and vehicular accidents. Treatments and diagnostic tests for circadian misalignment, sleepiness, and disordered sleep are therefore important for improving health and reducing injuries. With these goals in mind, my research focuses on 3 themes:
1) light regulation of circadian rhythms and other non-visual light responses;
2) effects of circadian rhythms and sleep deprivation on health outcomes; and
3) methods for monitoring and estimating cognitive responses to sleep deprivation.
1. Rukmini AV, Milea D, Aung T, Gooley JJ. Pupillary responses to short-wavelength light are preserved in aging. Sci Rep. 2017;7:43832.
2. Lo CY, Lee SM, Manling L, Lim J, Gooley JJ, Chee MWL. Neurobehavioral impact of successive cycles of sleep restriction with and without naps in adolescents. Sleep. 2017;40(2):zsw042.
3. Cai S, Tan S, Gluckman PD, Godfrey KM, Saw SM, Teoh OH, Chong YS, Meaney MJ, Kramer MS, Gooley JJ. Sleep quality and nocturnal sleep duration in pregnancy and risk of gestational diabetes mellitus. Sleep. 2017;40(2):zsw058.
4. Huang S, Deshpande A, Yeo SC, Lo JC, Chee MWL, Gooley JJ. Short sleep impairs vocabulary learning when students cram for an exam: The Need for Sleep Study. Sleep. 2016;39(9):1681-1690.
5. Hung SM, Milea DM, Vienot F, Tan JH, Rukmini DV, Dubail M, Tow SLC, Aung T, Gooley JJ, Hsieh PJ. Cerebral neural correlates of differential melanopic photic stimulation in humans. Neuroimage. 2017;146:763-769. Gooley JJ. Circadian regulation of lipid metabolism. Proc Nutr Soc. 2016 May 26:1-11.
6. Ong JL, Lo JC, Gooley JJ, Chee MW. EEG changes across multiple nights of sleep restriction and recovery in adolescents: The Need for Sleep Study. Sleep. 2016;39(6):1233-1240.
7. Lo JC, Ong JL, Leong RL, Gooley JJ, Chee MW. Cognitive performance, sleepiness, and mood in partially sleep deprived adolescents: The Need for Sleep Study. Sleep. 2016;39(3):687-698.
8. Zhou Y, Aris IM, Tan SS, Cai S, Thway M, Krishnaswamy G, Meaney M, Godfrey KM, Kwek K, Gluckman PD, Chong YS, Yap FKP, Lek N, Gooley JJ*, Lee YS*. Sleep duration and growth outcomes across the first 2 years of life: the GUSTO study. Sleep Medicine. 2015;16(10):1281-86. *Co-corresponding authors.
9. Chua ECP, Shui G, Cazenave-Gassiot A, Wenk MR, Gooley JJ. Changes in plasma lipids during exposure to total sleep deprivation. Sleep. 2015:38(11):1683-91.
10. Rukmini AV, Milea D, Baskaran M, How A, Perera S, Aung T, Gooley JJ. Pupillary responses to high-irradiance blue light correlate with glaucoma severity. Ophthalmology. 2015;122(9):1777-85.
11. Chua ECP, Yeo SC, Lee I, Tan LC, Lau P, Tan S, Ho Mien I, Gooley JJ. Individual differences in physiologic measures are stable across repeated exposures to total sleep deprivation. Physiol Rep. 2014;2(9):e12129.
12. Ho Mien I, Chua ECP, Lau P, Tan LC, Lee I, Yeo SC, Tan S, Gooley JJ. Effects of exposure to intermittent versus continuous red light on human circadian rhythms, melatonin suppression, and pupillary constriction. PLoS One. 2014;9(5):e96532.
13. Gooley JJ and Chua ECP. Diurnal regulation of lipid metabolism and applications of circadian lipidomics. J Genet Genomics. 2014;41(5)231-250. Gooley JJ. Applications of circadian metabolomics. Curr Metabolomics. 2014;2:2-14.
14. Chua EC, Yeo SC, Lee I, Tan LC, Lau P, Cai S, Zhang X, Puvanendran K, Gooley JJ. Sustained attention performance during sleep deprivation associates with instability in behavior and physiologic measures at baseline. Sleep. 2014;37(1):27-39.
15. Chua EC, Shui G, Lee I, Lau P, Tan LC, Yeo SC, Lam BD, Bulchand S, Summers SA, Puvanendran K, Rozen SG, Wenk MR, Gooley JJ. Extensive diversity in circadian regulation of plasma lipids and evidence for different circadian metabolic phenotypes. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2013;110(35):14468-73.
16. Gooley JJ, Ho Mien I, St. Hilaire MA, Yeo SC, Chua EC, Van Reen E, Hanley CJ, Hull JT, Czeisler CA, Lockley SW. Melanopsin and rod-cone photoreceptors play different roles in mediating pupillary light responses during exposure to continuous light in humans. J Neurosci. 2012;32(41):14242-53.
17. Chua EC, Tan WQ, Yeo SC, Lau P, Lee I, Mien IH, Puvanendran K, Gooley JJ. Heart rate variability can be used to estimate sleepiness-related decrements in psychomotor vigilance during total sleep deprivation. Sleep. 2012;35(3):325-34.