Education Qualifications: MB.ChB, MRCP (UK), FHKAM (Med), FAMS (Rheumatology), Doctorate in Medicine (M.D.)
Dr Katy Leung is a Senior Consultant in the Department of Rheumatology and Immunology, Singapore General Hospital (SGH) and Associate Professor of Duke-NUS Medical School. She graduated from the Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) and obtained Specialist Accreditation for Rheumatology in Hong Kong in 2006. She obtained Doctorate in Medicine (M.D.) from the Chinese University of Hong Kong in 2017. While in Hong Kong, she was the Chief in Rheumatology in North District Hospital from 2008 to 2011 and was appointed as Honorary Assistant Professor in CUHK from 2009 to 2011.
Dr Leung joined SGH in 2011 and is currently the Department’s Director of Research. With passion in research, she was awarded the SGH Nurturing Clinician Scientist Program in 2012, National Medical Research Council (NMRC) Transition Award in 2013 and Clinician Scientist Award in 2017. She is currently a working group member for Group in Research in Psoriasis and Psoriatic Arthritis (GRAPPA) and International Consortium for Outcome Measures (ICHOM) for inflammatory arthritis. She has published more than 120 articles in peer review journals and presented at international conferences. She currently serves as Associate Editor of Journal of Rheumatology, International Journal of Rheumatic Diseases, Frontiers in Medicine, BMC Rheumatology and Singapore Medical Journal. She is also a regular reviewer for more than 20 regional and international journals.
Professional Appointments and Committee Memberships:
- Co-chair of SGH Ageing Research Peak
- Director, Research, Department of Rheumatology and Immunology, Singapore General Hospital (SGH)
- Associate Professor, Duke-NUS Medical School Singapore
- Clinical Senior Lecturer, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore
- Patient Reported Outcome Focused Area for Medicine Academic Clinical Program - Team Lead
- International Consortium for Outcome Measures - Inflammatory Arthritis Working Group
- Singapore Society of Rheumatology – Member
- Group of Research and Assessment of Psoriasis and Psoriatic Arthritis (GRAPPA) – Member and Working Group Member
- Hong Kong Society of Rehabilitation - Professional Advisor
- Hong Kong Society of Rheumatology - Member
- NMRC Clinician Scientist Award 2017
- Outstanding Clinician Researcher Award in Singhealth GCEO Excellence Awards 2018
- Publon Peer Review Award 2018: Top 1% reviewer in clinical medicine
- Singapore Health Quality Service Award, Silver Award (2014, 2016)
- Prizes from Faculty 1000 for poster in World Congress of Osteoarthritis, OARSI 2016
- SingHealth! Publish Award 2015
- NMRC Research Fellowship 2014
- NMRC Transitional Award 2012
- Singapore General Hospital, Academic Clinical Medicine, Nurturing Clinician Scientist Program 2012
Leadership positions / roles in Education:
- Rheumatology Senior Residency Program – Physician Faculty (research track)
- SingHealth Clinician Scientist Residency Program - Co-program Director (Research)
Research Interests: Osteoarthritis, psoriatic arthritis and outcome measures.
Gorlier C, Orbai AM, Puyraimond-Zemmour D, Coates LC, Kiltz U, Leung YY, et al. Comparing patient-perceived and physician-perceived remission and low disease activity in psoriatic arthritis: an analysis of 410 patients from 14 countries. Annals of the rheumatic diseases. 2019;78(2):201-8.
Tillett W, Orbai AM, Ogdie A, Leung YY, Strand V, Gladman DD, et al. GRAPPA-OMERACT initiative to standardise outcomes in psoriatic arthritis clinical trials and longitudinal observational studies. Annals of the rheumatic diseases. 2018;77(5):e23.
Oude Voshaar MAH, Vonkeman HE, Courvoisier D, Finckh A, Gossec L, Leung YY, et al. Towards standardized patient reported physical function outcome reporting: linking ten commonly used questionnaires to a common metric. Quality of life research : an international journal of quality of life aspects of treatment, care and rehabilitation. 2018.
Leung YY, Ma S, Noviani M, Wong SB, Lee CM, Soh IA, et al. Validation of screening questionnaires for evaluation of knee osteoarthritis prevalence in the general population of Singapore. International journal of rheumatic diseases. 2018;21(3):629-38.
Leung YY, Lim Z, Fan Q, Wylde V, Xiong S, Yeo SJ, et al. Pre-operative pressure pain thresholds do not meaningfully explain satisfaction or improvement in pain after knee replacement: a cohort study. Osteoarthritis and cartilage. 2018.
Leung YY, Haaland B, Huebner JL, Wong SBS, Tjai M, Wang C, et al. Colchicine lack of effectiveness in symptom and inflammation modification in knee osteoarthritis (COLKOA): a randomized controlled trial. Osteoarthritis and cartilage. 2018;26(5):631-40.
Leung YY, Bin Abd Razak HR, Talaei M, Ang LW, Yuan JM, Koh WP. Duration of physical activity, sitting, sleep and the risk of total knee replacement among Chinese in Singapore, the Singapore Chinese Health Study. PLoS One. 2018;13(9):e0202554.
Teng GG, Leung YY, Ang LW, Yuan JM, Koh WP. Gout and risk of knee replacement for severe knee osteoarthritis in the Singapore Chinese Health Study. Osteoarthritis and cartilage. 2017;25(12):1962-8.
Orbai AM, de Wit M, Mease P, Shea JA, Gossec L, Leung YY, et al. International patient and physician consensus on a psoriatic arthritis core outcome set for clinical trials. Annals of the rheumatic diseases. 2017;76(4):673-80.
Leung YY, Huebner JL, Haaland B, Wong SBS, Kraus VB. Synovial fluid pro-inflammatory profile differs according to the characteristics of knee pain. Osteoarthritis and cartilage. 2017;25(9):1420-7.
Leung YY, Allen JC, Ang LW, Yuan JM, Koh WP. Diabetes mellitus and the risk of total knee replacement among Chinese in Singapore, the Singapore Chinese Health Study. Scientific reports. 2017;7:40671.
Hojgaard P, Klokker L, Orbai AM, Holmsted K, Bartels EM, Leung YY, et al. A systematic review of measurement properties of patient reported outcome measures in psoriatic arthritis: A GRAPPA-OMERACT initiative. Seminars in arthritis and rheumatism. 2017.
Leung YY, Yao Hui LL, Kraus VB. Colchicine--Update on mechanisms of action and therapeutic uses. Seminars in arthritis and rheumatism. 2015;45(3):341-50.
Leung YY, Allen JC, Jr., Noviani M, Ang LW, Wang R, Yuan JM, et al. Association between body mass index and risk of total knee replacement, the Singapore Chinese Health Study. Osteoarthritis and cartilage. 2015;23(1):41-7.
Leung YY, Ang LW, Thumboo J, Wang R, Yuan JM, Koh WP. Cigarette smoking and risk of total knee replacement for severe osteoarthritis among Chinese in Singapore--the Singapore Chinese health study. Osteoarthritis and cartilage. 2014;22(6):764-70.