Education Qualifications: MBBS, MMed (Anaes), FAMS
A/Prof BL Lim was appointed Director, Surgical ICU from 1996 - 2002 and during this time, he realized his vision of attracting and developing a core of like-minded intensivists to provide high quality ICU care to SICU, NICU & BICU in SG. Conducted many Fundamental Critical Support Courses to junior doctors, nurses and allied health profession from all 3 clusters to standardized and elevate the standards of ICU Care in Singapore.
He was appointed Head, Department of Anaesthesia & Surgical Intensive Care from 2004 - 2009. During this period, he established and nurtured several sub-specialties that included Cardiac Anaesthesia, Neuroanaesthesia, Pain Management, Liver Transplant Anaesthesia, Pre-operative Evaluation Clinic and Hyperbaric & Diving Medicine: he set up the Same Day Admissions Centre in 2010.
He was active in national and international academic activities. He was President, Society of Intensive Care Medicine (Singapore) from 1999 - 2001 and President, Singapore Society of Anaesthesiology from 2002 - 2003. he was a member of the Specialist Training Committee for Anaesthesiology (2006-2011) and inaugural Subspecialty Training Committee for Intensive Care Medicine (2006-2014).
Currently, he is a member of SGH Bioethics Committee since 2001, SGH Transplant Ethics Committee since 2005 and National Organ Transplant Ethics Panel, Ministry of Health since 2009. He has been invited to speak at many regional and international conferences. He was appointed Chair of SGH Clinical Ethics Committee in 2022.
He was appointed Associate Designated Institutional Official of SingHealth Residency Program from 2010-2012 and Designated Institutional Official in 2012 to 2018. Residency programs have grown from 6 programs in 2010 to 34 programs in 2016, the number of residents has grown from 63 to more than one thousand. He was appointed Deputy Group Director Education, SingHealth from May 2015 to Dec 2020 and Group Director Education (Graduate) from Jan to Jun 2021 to coordinate inter-professional education.
After completing his tour of duty at Graduate Medical Education in 2018, his main roles were in the following portfolios:
- Chief Risk Officer SGH: He was appointed Chief Risk Officer in 2018 to setup and co-chair the Enterprise Risk Management Council, Safe Management Council (2010) and Patient Safety Council (2021).
- Programme Director, Singapore Chief Resident Programme (SCRP) ,Healthcare Leadership College of MOH Holdings: To continue his passion to nurture future healthcare leadership, he was appointed Programme Director of SCRP since 2019 to train 30 best residents from all 3 clusters.
- Director Medical Affairs, SingHealth: To recruit, recognise and retain medical talent in SingHealth. Chair the SingHealth Junior Doctors Well-Being Committee to engage junior doctors from all SingHealth Institutions and recommend strategies to improve the well- being of junior doctors. He was appointed Chair of SingHealth Talent Review Board in 2022.
- Student Progression Committee (SPC): He was appointed Chair of SPC, Duke-NUS Medical School since 2019 to assist Vice Dean Education to implement school policies regarding individual student’s progression and graduation of MD Programme.
Currently, he sits on the following committees in Ministry of Health:
- National Transplant Ethics Panel
- Singapore Specialist Training Standards Standing Committee
- Member, National Wellness Committee for Junior Doctors
- Programme Director, Singapore Chief Resident Programme, Health Leadership College, MOH Holdings
- Member, Singapore Medical Council Complaints Committee
- Member, Singapore Medical CouncilDisciplinary Tribunal
- SingHealth & SGH ESS Leader to MOH Ensure Safer System (ESS)
In Duke-NUS Medical School, he chairs the Student Progression Committee and he is a member of MD Programme Board.
For the recognition of his teaching and education contributions in China, he was appointed Honorable Visiting Professor in 4th Military Medical University, Xian (2002), Qingdao Medical University (2007 & 2016); Honorable Executive Committee Member, Chinese Society of Anesthesiologists 2004 and Outstanding Contribution Award 2009.
For the recognition of his administration leadership and contributions in Graduate Medical Education, he was awarded Distinguished Educator Award, SingHealth Excellent Award 2013, National Day Award Public Administration (Bronze) 2015 and MOH National Outstanding Clinician Educator Award 2018.
A/Prof Lim BL was appointed one of the two international Board Members of USA Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education International (ACGME-I) w.e.f 1 Oct 2020. He has been working with seven other renowned board members from USA to transform graduate medical education internationally.
Professional Appointments and Committee Memberships:
- Chairman, Clinical Ethics Committee (2022 till now)
- Chief Risk Officer, SGH (2018 till now)
- Co-chair of the Patient Safety Council, SGH
- Designated Institutional Official (DIO), SingHealth Residency (2012-2018)
- Member, Medical Board, SGH (2018 till now)
- Committee Member, Specialist Training Committee (Anaesthesiology) (2006-2011)
- Committee Member, Subspecialty Training Committee (Intensive Care Medicine) (2006-2014)
- Course Director, Fundamental Critical Care Support Course
- Associate Professor, Duke-NUS Medical School Singapore
- Clinical Associate Professor, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore
|Honors/ Awards/ Distinctions||Program Title||Awarding Institution||Country of Award Entity||Year Awarded|
|National Medical Excellence Awards 2018||National Outstanding Clinician Educator Award||Ministry of Health||Singapore||2018|
|SingHealth doctors & Dentists long service award||30 Years Long Service Award||SingHealth||Singapore||2018|
|SGH Long Service Award||30 Years Long Service Award||SGH||Singapore||2017|
|Honorary Visiting Professor|| ||Qingdao University||China||2016|
|Distinguished Senior Clinician Award||Distinguished Senior Clinician Award||Singapore Health Service||Singapore||2016|
|Public Administration Service (Bronze)||National Day Awards||Prime Minister’s Office, Singapore||Singapore||2015|
|National Day Long Service Award||National Day Awards||Prime Minister’s Office, Singapore||Singapore||2014|
|Distinguished Educator Award||SingHealth Excellent Award||Singapore Health Services||Singapore||2013|
|Outstanding Faculty for Learning (Clinical Core)||Faculty Appreciation Award||Duke-NUS GMS||Singapore||2012|
|Outstanding Developer for Clinical Care||Faculty Appreciation Award||Duke-NUS GMS||Singapore||2011|
|Outstanding Faculty for Learning (Clinical Core)||Faculty Appreciation Award||Duke-NUS GMS||Singapore||2011|
|Best Clinical Core Program||Faculty Appreciation Award||Duke-NUS GMS||Singapore||2009|
|Excellent Service Award (Silver)||Excellent Service Award||Singapore General Hospital||Singapore||2009|
|Outstanding Contribution Award|| ||Chinese Society of Anaesthesiologists||China||2009|
|Visiting Professor|| ||Qingdao Medical University||China||2007|
|National IQC Convention 2005 Silver Award||National IQC Convention 2005 Silver Award||Spring Singapore||Singapore||2005|
|SingHealth Clinical Practice Improvement Programme – Best Project||SingHealth Clinical Practice Improvement Programme||Singapore Health Services||Singapore||2005|
|Honorary Executive Committee Member|| ||Chinese Society of Anesthesiologiest||China||2004|
|Visiting Professor|| ||4th Military Medical University||Xian, China||2002|
|SGH Service Quality Award||Service Quality Award||Singapore General Hospital||Singapore||1999|
Leadership positions / roles in Education:
- Director, Surgical ICU 1996-2002
- HOD, Dept of Anaesthesia& Surgical Intensive Care, 2004-2009
- Designated Institutional Official (DIO) SingHealth Residency 2012-2018
- Associate Dean (Residency Education) Duke=NUS Medical School, 2015-2018
- Programme Director, Critical Care Medicine, Duke-NUS Medical School 2008-2016
- Chair, Professional Development Committee, Duke-NUS Academic Medicine Education Institute, 2016-2019
- Member, Specialist Accreditation Board, MOH 2012 to 2018
BL Lim, TC Low. Total intravenous anaesthesia versus isoflurance for dental day surgery. Anaesth & Intens Care 1992; 20: 475-8
Nausea and Vomiting after Termination of Pregnancy as Day Surgery Cases. KS Lim, BL Lim, CS Tee, D Vengadasalam
NC Hwang, BL Lim. Subclavian vein cannulation - reducing the risk of pneumothorax. Int J Int Care 1995; 2: 10-11
C Balram, BL Lim et al. Validity of Bayesian Forecasting Programme in Therapeutic Drug Monitoring of Vancomycin in a Surgical Intensive Care Unit: A Prospective Evaluation. Ann Acad Medicine Singapore 1996; 25: 492-5.
S Raman, BL Lim. Audit of central venous catheter insertion - A Surgical Intensive Care Unit Experience. SGH Proceedings 1997;6:4-7
B L Lim. Inotropes for septic shock. SGH Proceedings 1998; 7(1):61-3.
BL Lim, YW Chan. Audit of 2431 admissions to the Surgical Intensive Care Unit, Singapore General Hospital. Ann Acad Medicine Singapore 5/98; 27(3): 315-7
BL Lim, NC Hwang. Effects of Anaesthesia. In: Anaesthesia, A Practical Handbook. Oxford University Press, Singapore.
BL Lim. Airway management—when and how? SMJ 2001;suppl 1 : 043-5
CJ Cheng, BL Lim, BS Tan. Inadvertent catheterisation of a partial anomalous pulmonary venous channel during central venous cannulation. Anaesthesia 2002; 57(2): 198-200
Audit of Total Parenteral Nutrition in an Adult Surgical Intensive Care. SM Tay, PC Yip-Yam, BL LIM, YW Chan. Annals of Aacademy of Medicine, Singapore 31(4), 487-492
Profound bradycardia during skin preparation for inguinal herniorrhaphy. Lim VQ, Lim BL. Anaesth Intensive Care 2011 July; 39(4); 773-4
Residency Training-Challenges Ahead. B L Lim Annals Acad Med June 2013, Vol 42 No 6
A nationwide, resident-led teaching programme for medical students in Singapore: SingHealth Student Internship Programme Bootcamp. Ting DS, Lee JC, Loo BK, Baisa K, Koo WH, Cook S, Lim BL Singapore Med J. 2016 May; 57(5): 233-7.
Putting Time in Perspective: An Integrated Graduate Medical Education Institutional Dashboard and Report Card. Jillian Andrada, Joyce Teo, Joel Neo,Helen Yeo, Lim Boon Leng. Journal of Graduate Medical Education. Volume 11, Issue 4s, August 2019
Day Surgery Anesthesia & Fast Track Recovery (Chinese Book Jan 2019): Chapter 5: Setting up of Pre-operative Evaluation Clinic and Same Day Admissions Center- 10 Years’ experience in Singapore General Hospital
Prevalence of burnout among healthcare professionals in Singapore. Tan Kok Hian; Lim Boon Leng; Foo Zann; Tang Joo Ying; Sim Mabel; Lee Phong Teck; Fong Kok Yong. Ann Acad Med Singap 2022;51:409-16
Sleep Quality and Burnout: A Singapore Study. Z Chen, ZST Foo, MWC Sim, BL Lim, KY Fong, KH Tan. Sleep Medicine, 2023