Shiva Sarraf-Yazdi is an Associate Professor at Duke-NUS Medical School and currently serves on an interim basis as Head of the Office of Education and Co-Director of the Academic Medicine Education Institute. She joined the School in 2007 as a faculty member and before her current role, she served as Assistant Dean for Admissions and Associate Dean for Educational Strategies, while holding a joint appointment with the Department of Surgical Oncology at the National Cancer Centre Singapore. Her contributions at Duke-NUS include leading curricular reforms and innovations such as orchestrating the longitudinal C.A.R.E. (Connect, Assimilate, Reflect, Explore) Programme, enhancing the preclinical and clinical curricula, and developing the innovative Duke-NUS hybrid longitudinal integrated clerkship.
Shiva completed her secondary education in Iran, and earned an undergraduate degree in Biomedical Engineering (magna cum laude), followed by an MD from Duke University, where she also completed her general surgery residency (Outstanding Senior Resident and Chief Resident awards in General Surgery), a surgery research fellowship and a fellowship in surgical critical care. She later obtained a Master of Education in Health Professions from Johns Hopkins University, and expects to complete the executive MBA programme at NUS in August 2023. She spent the 2012-13 academic year at Malaysia’s Perdana University Graduate School of Medicine (in collaboration with Johns Hopkins) as the founding Director of Clinical Clerkships.
In reverse chronology:
- Sarraf-Yazdi S, Goh S, Krishna L. AM Last Page: Conceptualizing Professional Identity Formation in Medicine. Academic Medicine. Accepted June 2023.
- H Ho CY, Lim N, Ong YT, Lee ASI, Chiam M, Phua GLG, Sarraf-Yazdi S, Mason S, Krishna L. The impact of death and dying on the personhood of senior nurses at the National Cancer Centre Singapore (NCCS): a qualitative study. BMC Palliat Care 21, 83 (2022). https://doi.org/10.1186/s12904-022-00974-9
- Sarraf-Yazdi, S, Compton, S. The toll of staying dry in a sea of context. Med Educ. 2022; 56(1):17-19. doi:10.1111/medu.14693
- Sarraf-Yazdi S, Teo YN, How AEH, Teo YH, Goh S, Kow CS, Lam WY, Wong RSM, Ghazali HZB, Lauw SK, Tan JRM, Lee RBQ, Ong YT, Chan NPX, Cheong CWS, Kamal NHA, Lee ASI, Tan LHE, Chin AMC, Chiam M, Krishna LKR. A Scoping Review of Professional Identity Formation in Undergraduate Medical Education. J Gen Intern Med. 2021; 36: 3511–3521. doi: 10.1007/s11606-021-07024-9
- Sarraf-Yazdi S. AM Last Page: Perks, Processes, and Pitfalls of Reflective Practice. Acad Med. 2021;96(5):769. doi: 10.1097/ACM.0000000000003864. PMID: 33264113.
- Compton S, Sarraf-Yazdi S, Rustandy F, Krishna LKR. Medical students’ preference for returning to the clinical setting during the Covid-19 pandemic. Med Educ. 2020; 54(10): 943-950. https://doi.org/10.1111/medu.14268
- Sarraf-Yazdi S, Kamei R. An international education partnership: Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School at 10 years. Appl. Clin Res Clin Trials Regul Aff. 2015; 2(1): 24-27.
- Sarraf-Yazdi S, Cook S, Kamei R. Calculated Overhaul vs. Cultivating the Status Quo in Clinical Education. Editorial. Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2014; 43: 132-3.
- Sarraf-Yazdi S, Sharpe M, Bennett K, Dotson T, Anderson D, Vaslef S. A nine-year retrospective review of antibiotic cycling in a surgical intensive care unit. J Surg Res. 2012; 176 (2), e73-e78.
- Sarraf-Yazdi S, Koong HN. Procedural safety: a hands-on course for medical students. Med Educ. 2011; 45: 512-3.
- Sarraf-Yazdi S; Shapiro M. Small bowel obstruction: the eternal dilemma of when to intervene. Scand J Surg. 2010; 99(2):78-80.
- Sarraf-Yazdi S, Mi J, Dewhirst M, Clary B. Use of bioluminescence imaging to detect enhanced hepatic and systemic tumor growth following partial hepatectomy in mice. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2008;34(4):476-481. doi:10.1016/j.ejso.2007.06.001
- Sarraf-Yazdi S, Mi J, Moeller B, Niu X-L, White R, Kontos C, Sullenger B, Dewhirst M, Clary B. Inhibition of in vivo tumor angiogenesis and growth via systemic delivery of an angiopoietin 2-specific RNA aptamer. J Surg Res. 2008; 146: 16-23.
- Mi J, Sarraf-Yazdi S, Zhang X, Cao Y, Dewhirst M, Kontos C, Li CY, Clary B. A comparison of antiangiogenic therapies for the prevention of liver metastases. J Surg Res. 2006;131(1):97-104. doi:10.1016/j.jss.2005.09.008
- Sarraf-Yazdi Shiva; Mi Jing; Clary Bryan M. Hepatic tumor growth: target for angiogenesis inhibition? World journal of surgery 2005; 29(3):287-92
- Mi J, Zhang X, Giangrande P, McNamara J, Nimjee S, Sarraf-Yazdi S, Sullenger B, Clary B. Targeted inhibition of alphavbeta3 integrin with an RNA aptamer impairs endothelial cell growth and survival. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2005;338(2):956-963. doi:10.1016/j.bbrc.2005.10.043
- Wai P, Mi Z, Guo H, Sarraf-Yazdi S, Gao C, Wei J, Marroquin C, Clary B, Kuo P. Osteopontin silencing by small interfering RNA suppresses in vitro and in vivo CT26 murine colon adenocarcinoma metastasis. Carcinogenesis. 2005;26(4):741-751. doi:10.1093/carcin/bgi027
- Sarraf-Yazdi S, Mi J, Dewhirst M, Clary B. Use of in vivo bioluminescence imaging to predict tumor burden in mice with hepatic metastases. J Surg Res. 2004; 120: 249-55.
- Sarraf-Yazdi Shiva; Pappas Theodore N. European surgical survey of acute pancreatitis--union of diversity. American J Gastroenterology 2004; 99(4):729-30.
- Nellgård B, Mackensen G, Sarraf-Yazdi S, Miura Y, Pearlstein R, Warner D. Pre-ischemic depletion of brain norepinephrine decreases infarct size in normothermic rats exposed to transient focal cerebral ischemia. Neurosci Lett. 1999; 275: 167-70.
- Mackensen G, Nellgård B, Sarraf-Yazdi S, Dexter F, Steffen R, Warner D. Postischemic RSR13 amplifies the effect of dizocilpine on outcome from transient focal cerebral ischemia in the rat. Brain Res. 2000; 853: 15-21.
- Grocott H, Sheng H, Miura Y, Sarraf-Yazdi S, Mackensen G, Pearlstein R, Warner D. Effects of aprotinin, a serine protease inhibitor, on outcome from cerebral ischemia. Anesth Analg. 1999; 88: 1-7.
- Sarraf-Yazdi S, Sheng H, Pearlstein R, Warner D. Effect of post-ischemic halothane administration on outcome from focal cerebral ischemia in the rat. J Neurosurg Anesth. 1999; 11: 31-6.
- Sarraf-Yazdi S, Sheng H, Grocott H, Bart R, Pearlstein R, Steffen R, Warner D. Effects of RSR13, a synthetic allosteric modifier of hemoglobin, alone and in combination with dizocilpine, on outcome from transient focal cerebral ischemia in the rat. Brain Res. 1999; 826: 172-80.
- Sarraf-Yazdi S, Sheng H, Miura Y, McFarlane C, Dexter F, Pearlstein R, Warner D. Relative neuroprotective effects of dizocilpine and isoflurane during focal cerebral ischemia in the rat. Anesth Analg. 1998; 87: 72-8.