Education Qualifications: MBBS, FRCS (Edin), FAMS (Plast Surg)
Dr Tan Bien Keem is Senior Consultant of the Department of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery, Singapore General Hospital, where he is also the Programme Director of the SGH Skin Bank Unit. Since January 2015, Dr Tan started serving as the Deputy Director, Cell and Tissue Transplantation in SingHealth Transplant. He is also member of the Advisory Committee on Transplantation at SGH, member of the SingHealth Duke-NUS Surgery Academic Clinical Programme and Associate Editor for the Archives of Plastic Surgery Journal.
Dr Tan has been involved in research, education and clinical treatment related to microsurgery for more than 10 years. He has been the Organising Chairman of the Biannual Microsurgery Course for more than 5 years and a trainer in the Basic Surgical Skills Course for close to 10 years. He was also the Organising Chairman of the Flap Course in September 2013. He is an internationally recognised speaker, clinician and researcher, and has published extensively in numerous medical journals and books.
Professional Appointments and Committee Memberships:
- Senior Consultant, Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery, Singapore General Hospital
- Member, Singapore Association of Plastic Surgeons
- Member, Singapore Society of Cosmetic (Aesthetic) Surgeons
- Member, Association of Burns Injuries Singapore
- Member, Wound Healing Society Singapore
- Deputy Director, SingHealth Transplant, SingHealth
- Member, the Advisory Committee on Transplantation, SGH
- Associate Editor, Archives of Plastic Surgery Journal
- Programme Director, SGH Skin Bank Unit, SGH
- Young Investigator Award, Tan Tock Seng Hospital, Tan Tock Hospital Annual Scientific Meeting, 1995
- SGH Scientist Award, SGH Annual Scientific Meeting, 1997
- Best Free Paper, Hand Surgery and Plastic Surgery Annual Combined Scientific Meeting, Singapore, 2000
- SGH Young Investigator Award, SGH Annual Scientific Meeting, 2000
- 8th Yahya Cohen Memorial Lectureship, 37th Annual Combined Surgical Meeting, Singapore, November, 2003
Two sequential free flaps for coverage of a total knee implant. Ng SW, Fong HC, Tan BK. Arch Plast Surg. 2018 May;45(3):280-283. doi: 10.5999/aps.2017.00899. Epub 2018 May 15.
Immediate breast reconstruction following nipple-sparing mastectomy in an Asian population: Aesthetic outcomes and mitigating nipple-areolar complex necrosis. WS, Tan BK, Ru Ng YY, Kiak Mien Tan V, Rasheed MZ, Kiat Tee Tan B, Ong KW, Ong YS. Arch Plast Surg. 2018 May;45(3):229-238. doi: 10.5999/aps.2017.01067. Epub 2018 May 15.
Free-Flap Lower Extremity Reconstruction: A Cohort Study and Meta-Analysis of Flap Anastomotic Outcomes between Perforator and Nonperforator Flaps. Song CT, Koh K, Tan BK, Goh T. J Reconstr Microsurg. 2018 Jul;34(6):455-464. doi: 10.1055/s-0038-1636939. Epub 2018 Mar
Comparison of clinical outcomes in diabetic and non-diabetic burns patients in a national burns referral centre in southeast Asia: A 3-year retrospective review. Zhao-Kai Low, Wai-Ng, Stephanie F Chong, Tan BK, SJ Chong, Jolie H, SM Tay
Burns 2017 Jan 31. Epub 2017 Jan 31
Quantifying the impact of inhalational burns: a prospective study. Chong SJ, Kok YO, Tay RXY, Ramesh DS, Tan KC, Tan BK.
Burns Trauma. 2018 Sep 4;6:26. doi: 10.1186/s41038-018-0126-z. eCollection 2018.
Surgical and oncological safety of nipple-sparing mastectomy in an Asian population. Ng YY, Tan VK, Pek WS, Chang JH, Sim Y, Ong KW, Yong WS, Madhukumar P, Wong CY, Ong YS, Tan BK, Tan BKT. Breast Cancer. 2018 Sep 14. doi: 10.1007/s12282-018-0908-y. [Epub ahead of print]
Acceptance of Vascularized Composite Allotransplantation (Face and Hand Transplant) in Singapore. Hui CLY, Chen PPY, Tan BK, Ooi ASH. Ann Plast Surg. 2018 Sep 20. doi: 10.1097/SAP.0000000000001626. [Epub ahead of print]
Feasibility of using computer simulation to predict the postoperative outcome of the minimally invasive Nuss procedure: Simulation prediction vs. postoperative clinical observation. Tse KM, Tan LB, Lee SJ, Rasheed MZ, Tan BK, Lee HP. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2018 Oct;71(10):1496-1506. doi: 10.1016/j.bjps.2018.05.026. Epub 2018 Jun 9.
Restoring a functional and mobile shoulder following reconstruction of sternoclavicular joint with a free vascularized fibular flap Abby Choke,Youheng Ou Yang, Joyce Suang Bee Koh, Tet Sen Howe, Bien-Keem Tan JPRAS Open 16 (2018)
Gracilis pull-through flap for the repair of a recalcitrant recto-vaginal fistula Wan Loong James Mok, Ming Hui Goh, Choong Leong Tang, Bien-Keem Tan Arch Plast Surg (Oct 2018)