Education Qualifications: MBBS, FRCS(Glasgow), FRCS Ed(Orth)
Dr Andrew Tan received his training as an orthopaedic surgeon in Singapore and advanced training in the areas of shoulder, knee, sports and arthroscopic surgery at the University of Washington in the United States.
He was among the first few doctors in Singapore to obtain the Fellowship in Orthopaedics with the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh in 2002, when he was then certified as an orthopaedic specialist. He has been practising as an orthopaedic surgeon at the Singapore General Hospital since his return from the United States in 2003.
He is currently Head and Senior Consultant with the Orthopaedic Surgery Department at the hospital, and is Adjunct Professor at both the National University of Singapore’s Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine. He works with athletes of varying levels, including our national athletes at the Singapore Sports Institute. He was the SGH doctor-in-charge of the inaugural Youth Olympic Games, and is a member of the Formula 1 SingHealth Medical Team.
Dr Tan is a strong advocate of holistic patient care. He believes in not only providing high-quality orthopaedic care to his patients, but in doing so within a pleasant and conducive environment to enhance patients’ well-being and recovery. He is a multiple-time winner of the hospital’s Service with A Heart award.
Apart from his clinical work, Dr Tan is also actively involved with the teaching of medical students, trainee surgeons as well as overseas doctors. He greatly values the importance of passing on one’s knowledge and skills to the next generation of doctors and surgeons.
For his contributions to undergraduate teaching, he was awarded the Dean’s Award for Teaching Excellence in 2008, the Orthopaedic Teaching Excellence Award in 2011 and 2012, the Role Model Award in 2013 and 2014, and the Dean’s Award for Teaching Excellence in 2015, and Dean’s Special Recognition Award in 2016. He was also voted SGH Surgical StaR Inspiring Teacher by the SGH junior doctors in 2010, the Innovative Educator by SingHealth residents in 2012, the Outstanding Faculty by SingHealth residents in 2014, and was given the Faculty Appreciation Award, SingHealth Residency in 2015. He also received the Game-Changer Award by SingHealth Duke-NUS for his contribution towards academic medicine. For his contributions to education and education leadership, he received the SingHealth Excellence Award in 2017.
He also educates and shares his expertise with orthopaedic surgeons in the region, and travels overseas regularly to conduct workshops and perform live surgery. He has also mentored many overseas fellows who have gone on to become top surgeons in their home countries. He is actively involved in orthopaedic clinical research. He believes strongly in the importance of outcome studies leading to excellence in patient care, and has published his surgical work extensively in major international and regional orthopaedic journals. He has also presented his work worldwide, and is a reviewer of multiple scientific journals.
Dr Tan is also very involved in hospital administration work, and holds various appointments including Department Head, Campus Director of SingHealth Duke-NUS Institute of Medical Simulation, Academic Vice-Chair (Faculty Affairs and Academic Development) of SingHealth Duke-NUS Musculoskeletal Sciences Academic Clinical Program, and member of the SGH Medical Board.
Professional Appointments and Committee Memberships:
- Head and Senior Consultant, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Singapore General Hospital
- Campus Director, SingHealth-DukeNUS Institute of Medical Simulation (SIMS)
- Member, SGH Medical Board
- Member, Elective Care Centre & National Dental Centre Singapore Commissioning Committee
- Senior Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon, Gleneagles Hospital
- Visiting Consultant, Singapore Sports Council/Singapore Sports Institute
- Adjunct Professor, NUS Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine
- Member, SingHealth Pharmacy & Therapeutics (P&T) Council
- Member, Clinical Competency Committee, SingHealth Orthopaedic Residency Program
- Member, National Orthopaedic Undergraduate Education Committee, NUS
- Member, SMC Committee for Accreditation of PGY1 Training Post
- Member, Ministry of Health, Orthopaedic Surgery Working Committee
- Member, SGH Campus Education Council
- Member, SGH Campus Emergency Planning Committee
- Reviewer of local and regional medical journals
- Member, Formula 1 SingHealth Medical Team
- SGH Doctor-in-charge, Singapore Youth Olympics Games
- 2019 Game Changer Award, SingHealth-DukeNUS
- 2018 ‘You Shine’ SingHealth Service Quality Award, SingHealth
- 2017 SingHealth Excellence Awards -Outstanding Educator, SingHealth
- 2016 Dean’s Special Recognition Award, NUS
- 2015 Dean’s Award for Teaching Excellence, NUS
- 2015 Singapore General Hospital 20 Years Long Service Award
- 2015 Faculty Appreciation Award, SingHealth Residency
- 2014 Certificate of Commendation: Role Model to Medical Class of 2014, NUS
- 2014 Outstanding Faculty Award, SingHealth Residency
- 2013 Certificate of Commendation: Role Model to Medical Class of 2013, NUS
- 2013 Service With A Heart Award, Singapore General Hospital
- 2012 Orthopaedic Teaching Excellence Award, NUS
- 2012 Innovative Educator Award, SingHealth Residency
- 2011 Orthopaedic Teaching Excellence Award, NUS
- 2010 Letter of Commendation, 1st Summer Youth Olympic Games
- 2010 Service With A Heart Award, Singapore General Hospital
- 2010 Surgical STaR SGH Inspiring Teacher Award 2010
- 2009 Dean's Award for Teaching Excellence AY0708, NUS
- 2007 Service With A Heart Award, Singapore General Hospital
- 2005 Singapore General Hospital 10 Years Long Service Award
- 2003 Singapore General Hospital Overseas Fellowship Award (Shoulder, Sports and Knee Surgery Fellowship USA)
- 2000 Young Orthopaedic Investigator Merit Award
Leadership positions / roles in Education:
- Physician Faculty, SingHealth Orthopaedic Residency Program
- Examiner, Final MBBS Examinations, National University of Singapore
- External Examiner, 3rd Professional MBBS Exams, National University of Singapore
WK Mak, HRBA Razak, HCA Tan. Which Patients Require a Contralateral Total Knee Arthroplasty Within 5 Years of Index Surgery? The Journal of Knee Surgery 2019 ; doi: 10.1055/s-0039-1692653
Joel Lim, Lincoln Liow, Andrew HC Tan. Post-Operative Non-Steroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs Do Not Affect Clinical Outcomes of Rotator Cuff Repair. Journal of Orthopaedics 2019 ; joi.org/10.1016/j.jor.2019.06.009
Don Koh, Shi Ming Tan and Andrew HC Tan. Recurrent surgical site infection after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: A case report. World Journal of Orthopedics 2019 ; Jun 18;10(6):255-261.doi:10.5312/wjo.v10.i6.255.eCollection
MC Lai, W Yeo, Andrew HC Tan. The Incidence Of Infection In Routine Knee Arthroscopy Without The Use Of Prophylactic Antibiotics Is Low. Proceedings of Singapore Healthcare 2019 Jan ; doi.org/ 10.1177/2010105818822588
Gin Way Law, Jing Kun Lee, Junwei Soong, Jeremy Wei Sern Lim, Karen Ting Zhang, Andrew HC Tan. Arthroscopic Debridement Of The Degenerative Knee – Is There Still A Role? Asia-Pacific Journal of Sports Medicine, Arthroscopy, Rehabilitation and Technology 2019 Jan; 15: 23-28
SH Tan, DM Lim, Andrew HC Tan. Case Report of A Volleyball Athlete Presenting with Posterior Shoulder Pain and Infraspinatus Muscle Wasting. Journal of Orthopaedic Case Reports 2018 Sep-Oct; 8(5): 11-14
B JX Teo, W Yeo, HC Chong, Andrew HC Tan. The Impact of Diabetes on Patient Outcomes after Total Knee Arthroplasty in an Asian Population. The Journal of arthroplasty 2018 Oct;33(10):3186-3189
B JX Teo, Andrew HC Tan. Surgical Site Infection after Primary Total Knee Arthroplasty is Associated with a Longer Duration of Surgery. J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong). 2018 May-Aug;26(2):2309499018785647. doi: 10.1177/2309499018785647
KS Tay, Andrew HC Tan. Clinical Outcomes, Return to Sports, and Patient Satisfaction after Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction in Young and Middle-aged Patients in an Asian Population - A 2- Year Follow-up Study. Arthroscopy (Journal of Arthroscopy and Related Surgery) 2018 Apr;34(4):1054-1059. doi: 10.1016/j.arthro.2017.10.039. Epub 2018 Jan2
WC Lee, HA Razak, Andrew HC Tan. Single-Radius versus Multi-Radius Total Knee Arthroplasty in Asians. Orthopaedic Proceedings 2018, Bone & Joint Journal, 100 (Supp 6):49-49