Education Qualifications: MBBS (Singapore), FRCS (Glasgow), FAMS
Dr Wong has been performing, teaching, researching for more than 20 years on Orthopaedic Traumatology.
He has expertise in primary to tertiary reconstruction of fractures including joint replacement as final repair and expertise extends to technology design and improvement of Orthopaedic Traumatology.
Professional Appointments and Committee Memberships:
- Head and Senior Consultant, Department of Orthopedic Surgery, SengKang General Hospital
- AO Research Network Clinic Principal Investigator
- Senior AO Trustee, Singapore
- SingHealth Duke-NUS Academic Deputy Vice-Chair, Clinical Services (SengKang General Hospital) ACP MSK
- Director, AO Centre
- Past Member of Ministry of Health Working Committee on Integrated Care Pathway
- Past Member of MOH Hip Fracture Clinical Pathway Guidelines Workgroup
- Member, SengKang Medical Board
- Member, SengKang Institutional Lead on Value Care
- Clinical Quality Officer of Serious Reportable Event, M&M and PRL Quality Assurance Committees
- Chairman AO Trauma Documentation Committee
- AO Technical Commission member for AO Foundation
- Member of SingHealth Research Grant Review Committee
- Member of SingHealth Residency Professionalism Standing Committee
- Member of Sengkang Trauma Service Committee
- Member of Sengkang OT Committee
- Member Sengkang MCOM Committee
- SingHealth Outstanding Clinician Award, 2017
- National Day Award, Long Service Medal, 2015
- Champion Blood Donor Bronze Award, 2015
- Public Healthcare Clinician Special Recognition Award, 2013/2015
- Top Faculty SingHealth Residency, 2012/2013
- Service with a Heard Award, 2012
- National Day Award, Commendation Medal (Military)[Pingat Penghargaan (Tentera)] 2012
- Service with a Heart Award 2010
- SGH Twenty Year Long Service Award 2010
- Asian Hospital Management Awards (Technical Service Improvement) 2007
- The Enterprise Challenge Public Service Innovation Award (Bronze) 2006
- Heart of Gold Award 2006
- Service with A Heart Award 2006
- Service with A Heart Award 2005
- SAF National Service Medal 2005
- SGH Ten Year Long Service Award 2004
- SAF Good Service Medal (NS) 2004
- EFORT Travelling Fellowship 2003
- Service with A Heart Award 2002
- Junior Asean Travelling Orthopaedic Fellowship 1998
- HMDP Fellowship for Advanced Training in Orthopaedic Surgery (Canada) 1996
- Government Merit Scholar (Public Service Commission Jun 1982
Leadership positions / roles in Education:
- Adjunct Associate Professor – NUS Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine
- Adjunct Associate Professor – Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine
- Examiner - Joint Speciality Fellowship Examination (conjunction with FRCSEd (Orth)
- Academic Deputy Vice Chair, Clinical Services - SingHealth DUKE-NUS Academic Medicine Collaboration
- Core Faculty of SingHealth Orthopaedic Residency
- Instructor – Advanced trauma life support (ATLS)
- Organising Committee AO Courses
- Information technology applications in medicine
- Geriatic Orthopaedic Trauma
Wong MK, Low MH, Yong R.
The femur: a good alternative source of bone graft using a new reamer system when options run out.
Singapore Med J. 2013 Feb;54(2):e38-42.
Ling XW, Joyce Koh SB, Howe TS, Wong MK.
Preoperative Thyroid Dysfunction Predicts 30-Day Postoperative Complications in Elderly Patients With Hip Fracture.
Geriatric Orthopaedic Surgery & Rehabilitation, Vol. 4 Issue 2, June 2013. P43 – 46.
Liow MH, Xia Z, Wong MK, Tay KJ, Yeo SJ, Chin PL.
Robot-Assisted Total Knee Arthroplasty Accurately Restores the Joint Line and Mechanical Axis. A Prospective Randomised Study.
J Arthroplasty 2013 Dec 14.
M Cucchiarini, H, Madry, F Guilak, DB Saris, MJ Stoddart, M Koon Wong, P Roughley
A vision on the future of Articular Cartilage Repair.
European Cells and Materials Vol. 27s 2014 (Pg 12-16)
Ming TS, Wong MK
Autologous Bone Grafting and Revision Plating in a Case of Persistent High Tibial Osteotomy Non-Union.
J Orthop Case Rep. 2016 Jul-Aug;6(3):91-93.
Cho JW, Oh CW, Leung F, Park KC, Wong MK, Kwek E, Kim HJ, Oh JK.
Healing of Atypical Subtrochanteric Femur Fractures After Cephalomedullary Nailing: Which Factors Predict Union?
J Orthop Trauma 2017 Mar;31(3):138-145
Liow MH, Goh GS, Wong MK, Chin PL, Tay DK, Yeo SJ.
Robotic-assisted total knee arthroplasty may lead to improvement in quality-of-life measures: a 2-year follow-up of a prospective randomized trial.
Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2017 Sep;25(9):2942-2951
Chan LWM, Gardner AW, Wong MK, Chua K, Kwek EBK, Singapore Orthopaedic Research Collaborative (SCORE).
Non-prosthetic peri-implant fractures: classification, management and outcomes.
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2018 Jun;138(6):791-802
Xu S, Lin HA, Wong MK.
Repair of comminuted (Mayo type IIB) olecranon fracture using Ethi-bond 5 sutures without metallic implants: A novel technique.
J Orthop. 2019 Mar 12;16(4):329-333.