Education Qualifications: MBBCHir (Cambridge), MRCSC (Edin), Cosmetic Surgery M. Med (Surgery), FAMS (Plastic Surgery)
Dr Ong Yee Siang graduated from University of Cambridge, UK in 1996. He completed his housemanship and training in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery in Singapore before he embarked on 1 year fellowship in Reconstructive Microsurgery in Duke University, USA. His clinical interests are mainly in Reconstructive Microsurgery, in particular, Breast and Head and Neck reconstruction. He is also the Program Director for SingHealth Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery Residency, being responsible for training of Residents in the specialty.
Professional Appointments and Committee Memberships:
- Director, Faculty & Professional Development, Musculoskeletal Sciences Academic Clinical Programme
- Head & Senior Consultant, Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery, Singapore General Hospital
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, NUS Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine
- Secretary, Singapore Society of Reconstructive Micrcosurgery
- Member, Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh
- Fellow of Academy of Medicine, Plastic Surgery
- Residency in SingHealth Excellence (RISE) Award for Best Faculty, 2016
- Residency in SingHealth Excellence (RISE) Award for Passionate Educator and Innovative Educator, 2012
- Duke-NUS Faculty Appreciation Award - Most Outstanding Faculty for MSK
- SGH Surgical Star Inspiring Teacher Award, 2011
- Service Quality Award, 2010
- Singapore Health Quality Service Award - Silver, 2009/2010
Leadership positions / roles in Education:
- Programme Director, SingHealth Surgery-in-General Residency Programme
Liver abscess in South-East Asian Patients - a review of 73 patients from Singapore. KVS Liew, TC Lau, Ch Ho, TK Cheng, Ong YS. Singapore Medical Journal Oct 2000;41(10):489-92.
Long-term Biomechanical properties and Histological changes in 2-octylcyanoacrylate assisted microvascular anastomosis in rat femoral arteries. Ong YS, Yap K, Ang ES, Tan KC, Ng RT, Song IC. Microsurgery 2004; 24(4): 304-8. Presented at American Society of Reconstructive Microsurgery Meeting 2003. Best Poster Award (Medical Officer/Registrar) at Singapore General Hospital Annual Scientific Meeting 2003.
Meta-analysis of early excision of burns. Ong YS, Samuel M, Song C. Burns. 2006 Mar;32(2):145-50. Presented at Royal Australian College of Surgeons Annual Scientific Congress 2005, Perth.
Abdominal wall necrotising fascitis: is it still "Meleney's Minefield". Wong CH, Song C, Ong YS, Tan BK, Foo CL. Plast Reconstr Surg 2006 Jun;117(7):147e-150e.
Extended Applications of Vascularized Preauricular and Helical Rim Flaps in Reconstruction of Nasal Defects. YX Zhang, J Yang, DR Wang, Ong YS, KE. Follmar, YG Zhang, D Erdmann, MR. Zenn, YL Qian, LS Levin. PRS 121(5)May 2008pp 1589-159.
Triple Chimeric Flap Based on Anterior Tibial Vessels for Reconstruction of Severe Traumatic Injuries of the Hand with Thumb Loss. YX Zhang, J Yang, DR Wang, YG Zhang, Ong YS et al. PRS 123(1)January 2009pp 268-275.
Hand Infections. Ong YS, LS Levin. Plast Recon Surg 124: 225e, 2009.
Increased signs of acute rejection with ischaemic time in a rat musculocutaneous allotransplant model. Pradka SP, Ong YS, Zhang YS, Davis SJ, Baccarani A, Messmer C, Fields TA, Klitzman B, Levin LS. Transplant Proc 2009 Mar:41(2):531-6.
The fibula osteoseptocutaneous flap incorporating the hemisoleus muscle for complex head and neck defects: anatomical study and clinical applications. CH Wong, Ong YS, KY Chew, BK Tan, Song C. Plast Recon Surg 124: 1956, 2009.
Treatment Strategy for Post-burn Neck Reconstruction: Emphasizing the Functional and Aesthetic Importance of the Cervicomental Angle. YX Zhang, J Yang, DR Wang, YG Zhang, Ong YS et al. Ann Plast Surg 2010 Dec;65(6):528-34.